Thursday, June 12, 2014

Signature Trees - Wedding

So,.... I made one myself! It really was, that easy. When my husband and I got married a few months ago I tried to save money by making as many of the items I could myself. I actually learned so much and really enjoyed creating so many lovely things (see previous post).

One of the items that was really important to my husbands and myself (yes, Hubs actually weight in on this one). Was a signature tree. Everyone I know has their wedding album and guestbook wrapped in paper in their closet somewhere or buried on a box. Not only did I not want to bother with that I thought, "Geez, I am no spring chicken these signatures could be really special to me in just a few years." Really, I am an old chic, folks in my age bracket are dying. No longer does my Aunt call to tell me who is pregnant, oh NO!! It's now who has bought the farm.

It's sad but true. I was not a typical 23 year old bride that has her whole life to ponder over memories of her wedding day. Trying so hard to keep up with all her 20 something friends that are all getting married an having babies, etc. Shit, I didn't even want to shell out the several grand for the photographer. That in it's self is a whole other post I will get into some other time.  I got remarried at 50 and was actually kind of peeved that we were making such a big deal out of it. Oh wait, I digress,.. I was blogging about the wedding signature trees.

Any who,.....I was researching options for a guestbook and came across some really nice ideas for wedding guest signatures. Some were just printed off printers or sold in mass from chain craft stores. I didn't care for any of those. I myself had started painting again the year before. Just some acrylics of flowers, doors, landscapes, etc. So I thought I will give it a try myself. I saw one on line that looked like this. So I went ahead and painted it myself and saved the >$300.00 for the hand painted one I wanted.



The left one is waiting for all the quests signatures and the right is after the wedding, all framed up and ready for hanging.

Guest really seem to enjoy signing them and I made my personal tree quite large because I had a huge empty wall to put it on.
I have since then been asked to do a few for family and friends and recently just finished my first commissioned piece. I love it when I am asked to do one and they let me 'Do my thing' and just have fun with it. Trees are so individual that the possibilities are endless.


I don't usually get to see them after the wedding so some of these pics don't have signatures on them yet.

If anyone has questions on how to create one, just email me at mlarsonarts@carolina.rr.com. It is more easy than you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment