Sunday, February 8, 2015

Elmo Birthday Cake



My grandson's 3rd birthday was coming up and I promised my daughter I would make him an Elmo birthday cake. Sounded easy enough.


You'll need:
10' & 6' round cake pans
3 cake mixes
2 cups of Confectioners sugar
White fondant (about 12 oz)
  - Tint 2 oz. Orange, 4 oz. Green, 4 oz. Red and leave 2 oz. white.
White Butter cream frosting
Chocolate frosting
2 round ball lolli-pops
Multi colored candy covered chocolate balls 'Sixlets'
Color gels- Black, red, yellow, green







So,....I bought white fondant & white butter cream frosting and mixed all the colors I needed. It is cheaper to buy just white and color it whatever color you need.

The bottom is:
3 layers of yellow cake,10 inch rounds.
Pale yellow butter cream frosting all over.
Fondant tinted red and cut into 1/2 in stripes.
Multi colored - 'Sixlets'
Greenish/yellow tinted fondant then, outlined in bright yellow (for Sesame Street sign)
White butter cream (label name and age on green sign)


Elmo's Head:
1 very full layer cake without the top cut off level, 6 inch round. Cut the mouth into it.
Crumb coat with red tinted butter cream and the mouth with black tinted chocolate frosting,
I used two ball shaped lollipops for his eyes, covered them with white fondant.
The orange nose is just tinted fondant formed by hand.


No comments:

Post a Comment